Summer is synonymous with surf, sand, sunscreen and icy poles. Isn't it? If you have kids it so is. So what do we do to keep them entertained in the looooong summer school holiday? We take them to the beach, slip, slop, slap them, run them ragged, feed then a SANDwich then take them home for a refreshing ice block. Even though I consider myself a label reader, for many years I was completely oblivious to the large number of numbers in the common frozen fruit confectionary that I subjected my kids (and my kids' friends to). I've been guilty of purchasing the pre-packed fruit sticks that you pop in the freezer - I thought they were pretty healthy - you know 99% fruit juice, what can be wrong with the other 1% - Well if you have the inclination, the time AND THE EYESIGHT to read them, this is what you would find in one of our most popular ice blocks.
Reconstituted Fruit Juices [Apple (93.2%), Grape (3.2%), Pear (1%), Orange (0.5%), Pineapple (0.5%), Passion Fruit (0.3%), Mango (0.2%), Black Currant (0.1%)], Colours (110,163,150d,102), Flavours, Vegetable Gum (466), Food Acid (330), Preservatives (211,202,223) (Contains Sulphites).
Just soooo unnecessary. I'm not feeling particularly verbose and one day I'll do a wrap on why it's best not to eat numbers but for now let's just agree that numbers are generally man made flavours, preservatives and fillers to make your food more appealing and longer lasting. What we really want is to feed our kids food that is already appealing and does it really need to last for 2 years on a supermarket shelf? Maybe not.
So all you need to create a delicious, nutritious popsicle for your kids this summer is a blender or food processor of some description. I don't receive kickbacks but I am happy to share that the four I have for various reasons, which ALL work PERFECTLY for this recipe are the $39 Russell Hobbs, the $500 Breville whiz pro, The $300, Kitchenaid blender and the $2000+ Thermomix.
To make 6 ice blocks in the Zoku ice block holders you will need 1 mango, 2 peeled, deseeded oranges and 6 passionfruit. I also use cup cake papers and cups with paddle pop sticks.
Puree the mangos and oranges, then stir in the passionfruit. Pour into the moulds and pop into the freezer. 100% fruit! 100% health and happiness for your kids and your peace of mind.
You can of course make these with any number of fruit and liquid combos. We pour leftover smoothies into the moulds, whizz berries and coconut milk or water, banana and soy milk etc. Let your imagination be your limit. Buon appetito.